Thursday, 28 January 2016

NOTICE: Getting help with any of my products

In the last few days I've had several dozen people contact me for help with their new danceball system and I've been unable to reply to them because they haven't identified who they were or what grid they were from.

When you need support on something I've made please follow this checklist:
  1. Did you read and try the solutions in the READ ME notecard? If you didn't please do that first since it answers almost all of the questions and provides most of the common solutions. If there isn't a read-me notecard in the product, open the script and look at the red commented text at the top instead...that's where I'll put instructions.
     
  2. Are you POSITIVE that OSSL is set up correctly for you in your region? If you're seeing a script error message popping up that mentions permissions as I've highlighted in the following, it means you DON'T have OSSL permissions set correctly and need to contact whoever administers your region's server. Here's a typical OSSL configuration/permission error message:
    System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> OpenSim.Region.ScriptEngine.Shared.ScriptException: OSSL Runtime Error: osGetNotecard permission denied.  Allowed threat level is VeryLow but function threat level is VeryHigh.?
    ...then a bunch of path details that will vary...
    The message might be a little different than this, but if the beginning part of it talks about permissions there's something wrong in your region's set-up and I CANNOT help you with that because it varies a little depending on your region's set-up.

    The details necessary to set OSSL correctly are in the READ ME notecard included inside the box and inside the danceball itself...give a copy of this to your server manager.
     
  3. If you're not seeing any script error messages, are you seeing any messages from the ball in chat? If so, they ought to be telling you what the ball thinks is wrong.
     
  4. AFTER CHECKING ALL OF THE ABOVE and making sure that it's really a problem that needs my direct help, please contact me either via IM or by sending me a notecard. To do either of these, you need to HTTP to RefugeGrid first, then send it. You can get here by doing a map search for "RefugeGrid.com:8002" and teleport to the destination that comes up on your map (or you can do so from my Shopping Region or from my Hedonism club, both of which are also in RefugeGrid).

    When you do so:

    • Tell me your name! Messages and notecards will very frequently arrive showing the sender as "unknown user" or "loading...." and any attempt I make to reply to you will fail. If I don't know who are are and what grid you're from, I can't help you. Yes, even IMs can arrive this way and, sadly, I'm not a psychic.
       
    • Tell me what grid you're from and ideally the HG entry address for your grid. The only way I can reliably reply to you is if I HGTP to your grid and I can't do that if I don't know where you're from or how to get there. With major grids I will probably know how to get there anyway, but it's still handy if you tell me so I don't have to go look it up. Even better, give me a landmark.
       
    • Be specific in telling me what problem you're experiencing. Saying "I have a problem" and supplying no details doesn't let me help you in a meaningful way. It also makes me think that you haven't read the READ ME notecard because it says exactly the same thing, which makes me assume that you haven't tried any of the solutions to common problems there, either. If you can't make the effort to help yourself first, why should you expect me to?
       
    • Even if I appear to be online, please understand that I might be afk and not able reply; or I may be HGed elsewhere an unable to reply; or I may be in the midst of something else and can't just drop what I'm doing to help you. If you aren't speaking to me face-to-face there's always a chance I won't receive it at all. If I haven't gotten back to you within a day or so, I might not even have received your message so try again, politely.
     
By doing the above you'll make it much easier to help you.

Thank you.